Wixom's #1 Choice for Periodontics & Gum Disease Treatment
Pesis Family Dental offers high quality, affordable treatment for periodontal (gum) disease for children and adults in the Wixom area. The practitioners at Pesis Family Dental believe everyone deserves a great smile. Regular dental checkups help keep your teeth and gums healthy so you never have to worry about what your smile says about you.
Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age. By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with your dentist, you can prevent gum disease and help keep your smile healthy for many years to come. Pesis Family Dental offers convenient hours, experienced practitioners, and affordable pricing on all your dental treatments.
We provide a better dental experience!
At Pesis Dental Group, your family is our family. Dr. Jacob Pesis and Dr. Solomon Pesis have gone through great lengths to build a team of warm and welcoming staff members. We believe that prompt and courteous service can make all the difference when you're searching for a great dentist, and we strive to create outstanding experiences for our patients with each interaction.
We're committed to giving you the most personal, caring service possible. We are devoted to providing comprehensive dental care and educating our patients on how to prevent problems before they even happen.
We always encourage our patients to ask any questions or provide any feedback you may have about your experiences with us. We welcome your thoughts and want to help you lead a happier and healthier life!
Wixom's Most Trusted Choice for Gum Disease Prevention & Treatment
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an infection of the gums surrounding your teeth. Gum disease is one of the top reasons for tooth loss in adults, and because it is virtually pain-free, many patients do not know they have the disease. During each regular checkup, your dentist will check for signs of periodontal disease by measuring the space between your teeth and gums.
Periodontal disease forms just below the gum line and creates small pockets that separate the gums from the teeth. Periodontal disease has two stages: gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Gingivitis --- This is the early stage of gum disease, when the gums become red and swollen, and bleed easily. At this stage, the disease is treatable and can usually be eliminated by daily brushing and flossing.
- Periodontitis --- If left untreated, gingivitis will advance into periodontitis, and the gums and bone that support the teeth will become seriously and irreversibly damaged. Gums infected with periodontitis can cause teeth to become loose, fall out, or be removed by a dentist.
Factors that can increase your risk of developing periodontal disease:
- Smoking or using chewing tobacco
- Certain types of medication such as steroids, anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, calcium channel blockers, and oral contraceptives
- Bridges that no longer fit properly
- Crooked teeth
- Old fillings
While periodontal disease can go undetected, some symptoms can include:
- Gums that bleed easily
- Red, swollen, tender gums
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Permanent teeth that are loose or separating
- Any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- Any change in the fit of partial dentures
Preventing & Treating Gum Disease
Regular dental checkups and periodontal examinations are important for maintaining your health and the health of your smile. You don't have to lose teeth to periodontal disease, and by practicing good oral hygiene at home, you can significantly reduce your chances of ever getting gum disease. Remember to brush regularly, clean between your teeth, eat a balanced diet, and schedule regular dental visits to help keep your smile healthy.
Treatments for gum disease can vary depending on the severity of each individual case. Typical treatments include:
- Non-surgical treatments such as at-home periodontal trays, and scaling and root planing (deep cleaning)
- Periodontal surgery and laser gum surgery
- Dental implants
"We have decided to make the 60 mile round trip instead of changing dentists. The staff here really cares about their patients. They are great with children, and they are more than willing to work with your financial situation. I would recommend them to everyone." K.C. S.*
From baby teeth to permanent pearly whites, our team at Pesis Dental Group is here to deliver the best and brightest smiles to everyone in your family. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!