Novi's Trusted Source for Periodontics & Gum Disease Treatment
Pesis Family Dental is Novi's leading source for affordable and comprehensive dental care, including periodontics, general, restorative and cosmetic dentistry. The practitioners at Pesis Family Dental believe everyone deserves a great smile. Regular dental checkups help keep your teeth and gums healthy so you never have to worry about what your smile says about you.
Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age. By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with your dentist, you can prevent gum disease and help keep your smile healthy for many years to come. Pesis Family Dental offers convenient hours, experienced practitioners, and affordable pricing on all your dental treatments.
Meet Our Dentists
Dentistry truly fascinates Dr. Solomon Pesis, and has for more than 30 years. His dental interests run across a wide spectrum. Dr. Sol regularly makes time to learn the newest and most innovative dental technologies by completing countless hours of continuing education courses in cosmetic dentistry, orthodontics*, medical emergencies, and more! Outside of the office, Dr. Sol loves spending time with his wife, children, and grandchildren and has embraced his role as "Mr. Fix-it" around the house!
*Not certified as a specialist
Dr. Jacob Pesis loves helping his patients lead happier, healthier lives using his dental knowledge. Like the other Dr. Pesis, he prioritizes continuing dental education to provide the best possible service to his patients.
Dr. Jacob regularly takes courses through the Oakland County Dental Society and Alpha Omega, the worldwide dental fraternity. Outside of the office, he spends a lot of time with his wife and children and enjoys various sports and wood carving.
Novi's Most Trusted Choice for Gum Disease Prevention & Treatment
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an infection of the gums surrounding your teeth. Gum disease is one of the top reasons for tooth loss in adults, and because it is virtually pain-free, many patients do not know they have the disease. During each regular checkup, your dentist will check for signs of periodontal disease by measuring the space between your teeth and gums.
Periodontal disease forms just below the gum line and creates small pockets that separate the gums from the teeth. Periodontal disease has two stages: gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Gingivitis --- This is the early stage of gum disease, when the gums become red and swollen, and bleed easily. At this stage, the disease is treatable and can usually be eliminated by daily brushing and flossing.
- Periodontitis --- If left untreated, gingivitis will advance into periodontitis, and the gums and bone that support the teeth will become seriously and irreversibly damaged. Gums infected with periodontitis can cause teeth to become loose, fall out, or be removed by a dentist.
Factors that can increase your risk of developing periodontal disease:
- Smoking or using chewing tobacco
- Certain types of medication such as steroids, anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, calcium channel blockers, and oral contraceptives
- Bridges that no longer fit properly
- Crooked teeth
- Old fillings
While periodontal disease can go undetected, some symptoms can include:
- Gums that bleed easily
- Red, swollen, tender gums
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Permanent teeth that are loose or separating
- Any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- Any change in the fit of partial dentures
Preventing & Treating Gum Disease
Regular dental checkups and periodontal examinations are important for maintaining your health and the health of your smile. You don't have to lose teeth to periodontal disease, and by practicing good oral hygiene at home, you can significantly reduce your chances of ever getting gum disease. Remember to brush regularly, clean between your teeth, eat a balanced diet, and schedule regular dental visits to help keep your smile healthy.
Treatments for gum disease can vary depending on the severity of each individual case. Typical treatments include:
- Non-surgical treatments such as at-home periodontal trays, and scaling and root planing (deep cleaning)
- Periodontal surgery and laser gum surgery
- Dental implants
"My 6 yo nephew had a toothache in the middle of the night and I was really frightened due to the severity of pain and duration. I ended up finding their contact information through 1-800-DENTIST. They were the only ones available at 3 AM. I called their emergency number and left a message. Within 5 minutes, Dr. Solomon Pesis called me back and consulted me. In the morning, their office called me again and I received an appointment for 11:30 am.Once we arrived, Dr. Jack Pesis and all of the dental assistants were extremely helpful and friendly. They were very patient and gentle with my nephew during his visit (included a tooth extraction). Even though they did not have a child sized chair, they did turn on cartoons to help pass time during the waiting periods." Linda P.
From baby teeth to permanent pearly whites, our team at Pesis Dental Group is here to deliver the best and brightest smiles to everyone in your family. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!